I have been using DuckDuckGo as my search engine of choice for the last few years. Howerver, DuckDuckGo seems to have a few problems:
- It is based in the US, arguably not the most privacy-respecting jurisdiction in the world.
- Only part of their source code is open.
- Uses Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a cloud provider and Cloudfare CDS.
- It looks like their browser was caught tracking visited websites per user.
- At the end of the day, you can’t really know that they are telling the truth when they promise not to track you.
In this post, I’m discussing Searx, a better alternative to DuckDuckGo that is truly open and driven by the community.