Toni Sagristà Sellés
I am a software engineer expert in various java technologies and doing research in scientific visualisation. I am fascinated by the physics of nature and have a strong interest for physics simulations. I have lately developed a passion for game programming techniques.
11/2013 - currently ARI/University of Heidelberg, software engineer and researcher
- Gaia/CU9 - Support for the scientiﬁc exploration of the Gaia data as well as its electronic publication. Support for the Gaia data visualisation and public outreach.
- Gaia Sky - 3D Universe software.
04/2015 - currently Viscomp group/IWR, researcher and Ph.D. candidate
- Scientific visualization - Research in scientific visualisation for astronomy and astrophysics.
- HGS MathComp fellow - Check it out here.
- Gaia - ESA's mission Gaia is an astrometry satellite to observe ~1-2 billion stars.
- GASS project - Analysis, implementation and testing of the GAia Systems Simulator, which simulates the telemetry stream of Gaia. Also, profiling and optimisation of GASS using memory caches. Parallelization of code to get a speed-up of up to 60% in Marenostrum supercomputer.
- TMV project - Analysis, design and implementation of the TeleMetry Validator of GASS and Gaia using pure Java, Python, shell scripting and various plotting libraries.
- Others - Implementation of other pieces of software such as the GbinConverter, the IntervalUtils, the SkyPlotter or the HTMGenerator.
02/2010 - 11/12/2011 Galaxy Formation group/ICC/UB, software engineer and front&back-end developer
- AMIGA - Design and development of the AMIGA cosmological semi-analytic model front end for external use, under the supervision of Dr. E. Salvador. Use of GWT and development of own widgets and extensions.
- Data module - Design of the scientific data management module, a software layer dealing with huge amounts of cosmological data.
09/2007 - 01/2010 Justinmind, software analyst and designer
- Generation API - Lead manager and analyst of HTML and web application generation API.
- Usernote - Design and development of Justinmind Usernote, the front end to the generation API.
- Justinmind Prototyper - Design and development support to the Justinmind Prototyper team.
10/2005 - 01/2007 Justinmind, internship
- Document management - Design and development of a fully-featured document management system using Struts, Hibernate, Lucene and jBPM.
- Justinmind incubator - Design and development of several products in their incubation stage, such as the Justinmind user management.
- Generation core - Design and development of the application generation core in use in the Justinmind Usernote and Justinmind Prototyper.
- R+D department.
Universitat de Barcelona, Department of Astronomy
February 2010 - September 2011 M.Sc. in Astrophysics, Particle Physics and Cosmology (ISCED 6). Qualification: 90/100, A.
The Masters degree in Astrophysics, Particle Physics and Cosmology, pathway of Astrophysics and Space Sciences. It provides advanced academic training within the fields of astrophysics, space sciences, atomic, nuclear and particle physics, gravitation and cosmology. Awarded the M.Sc. Honours Certificate of the faculty of physics in 2011.
University of Aberdeen, Computing Science Department
January 2007 - July 2007 Single Honours Project. Qualification: First Class Project.
Project 'Computer-aided catalan learning application', founded on the grounds of Natural Language Processing (NLP) developed under the supervision of Dr. E. Reiter.
University of Reading, School of Systems Engineering
September 2004 - June 2005 Abroad year (Erasmus program) taking courses in the departments of Computer Science, Systems Engineering and Cybernetics.
E-business, Informatics for e-enterprise, Cybernetics and its applications, Commercial off-the-shelf software, Graphical User Interfaces, Virtual reality.
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, FIB
September 2001 - June 2007 B.Sc. in Informatics Engineering (ISCED 6): Qualification: 1,937 (RD 1044/2003).
The aim of the Degree in Informatics Engineering is to give students a general grounding in informatics, examine all or most subjects inherent to the field in depth and train them to attain pass one of the areas of specialization offered by the School.
- High-performance architectures and computing
- Software engineering and information systems
- Fundamentals of computing
- Data management and operations
- System interfaces and integration
- Advanced programming techniques
- Telematic networks and operating systems Engineering and engineering trades
- Skills & Publications
- Programming languages - Languages I know best.
- C, C++ - Used in some personal projects and practical works done in both languages during my degree.
- FORTRAN - Got to know FORTRAN well thanks to my work with the semi-analytic model AMIGA.
- Python - Used extensively during my Ph.D. and Gaia Sky.
- Java and J2EE - Expert in various J2EE technologies and frameworks.
- Application/web servers - Tomcat, jBoss, Apache.
- Frameworks - Struts 1&2, Spring MVC, JSF, WebWorks, GWT, Hibernate, jBPM.
- Libraries - Apache commons, jetty, Eclipse GEF, GMF and SWF, libGDX, Quartz, Lucene, etc.
- Profiling - Eclipse MAT, VisualVM, JProfile, JProbe, jmap, jhat, jstack.
- Shell scripting - bash, csh.
- OpenGL/GLSL - Deep knowledge of OpenGL (2.x, 3.x, 4.x and ES).
- Databases - MySQL, PostgreSQL, OracleDB, HyperSQL and specific languages like ADQL.
- vim - My main development tool, aided with handy plugins.
- IntelliJ IDEA - I sometimes use it for development.
- Eclipse IDE - I used the Eclipse IDE as my main developing environment in the past and worked
several Eclispe technologies such as GEF and GMF.
- HPC - Tuning and profiling code for its execution in the supercomputers at CESCA and BSC.
- Android SDK - Expertise in the Android SDK. Two applications published in the Play store (see my Portfolio).
- LaTeX - I use LaTeX to format almost all the documents I produce, including technical work, science reports and my resumé.
- Drupal/WordPress - I set up a Drupal environment from scratch to build my previous site.
- Web technologies - I am somewhat proficient in web technologies.
- CSS3&HTML5 - The future of the web.
- PHP - I coded personal websites in PHP a while ago.
- Others - Dreamweaver+VBScript+ASP and FrontPage (a very long time ago). Hugo (this site).
- NLP. 2007 - Natural Language Processing knowledge, acquired developing the final year project.
- E-Business and Informatics for e-Enterprise courses. 2005 - The University of Reading, Computer Science department.
Publications and projects
Social Skills and Competences
- Teamworking. Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in software project management.
- Language skills
Snowboarding, football, jogging, scuba diving, reading and above all, traveling the world.
Available on request.